Yes, The day has come! After a delay in UCL fixtures due to the worldwide stay of Covid-19, we have finally arrived to the day of the UEFA Champions League (UCL) Finals. Two of the Champions League top favorites have made it to Lisbon to play the finals between Paris Saint Germain (PSG) and FC Bayern Munich (FCB) on Sunday.
Fans are eager to see this epic battle between the French giants and the German giants. The star studded team of PSG having huge names like Neymar, Mbappe, Di Maria, Thiago Silva, marquinhos and Verratti will face the beast looking Bayern team with Lewandowski, Gnabry, Muller, Alphonoso Davies, Kimmich, Coutinho, Neuer who seem unstoppable at the moment.
PSG’s attacking trio of Neymar, Mbappe and DiMaria will be up against a team who have scored 42 goals in 10 Champions League games this season. The Bayern team may also be called as the Bayern machine has not lost a single game of this tournament. They have secured 18 points in the group having teams like Tottenham, Hotspurs, Olympiacos, and Red star Belgade. Scoring the most (24 goals) and defeating everyone in the group stage, especially a thumping win against Spurs of 7-1.
Leading to the knockout stage, Bayern had only one strategy in mind ‘DOMINATE’. Advancing to the knockout stage, Bayern outclassed Chelsea by the aggregate of 7-1, and then came the historic match where Bayern completely annihilated Barcelona by 8-2 in the Quarters. Winning the Quarters, Bayern were to face Olympiques Lyonnais (Lyon) in the Semis and won comfortably by 3-0. Since the start of this season’s UCL, Bayern has aggregated an unbelievable 42-8 Goal difference. Bayern has been phenomenal this season along with winning the Bundesliga and DFB Cup as well. The standout player for them has been the 31-year old ‘Robert Lewandowski’. Robert Lewandowski has netted a record breaking 55 goals this season including all the competitions.
On the other hand, The Thomas Tuchel (Coach\Manager) led PSG have not been that dominant still they have managed to make it to their first every Champions League Final. PSG have spent more than 1.2 billion euros in recent years to achieve their motive of winning their first Champions League. Their current starting line-ups ranges around 700 million euros just in transfer fees.
PSG has also had a decent run in this tournament with excelling in the group stage having teams like Real Madrid, Galatasaray, and Club Brugge. They secured 16 points by winning 5 of their group stage games, and a draw against Real Madrid. They played well against Dortmund in the group of 16 eliminating them with the aggregate of 3-2 and then won a dramatic one against Atlanta in the Quarters. They were looking to be eliminated in the quarters itself against Atlanta, as they were behind 1-0 till the 9oth minute. But the brilliance of Mbappe and Neymar steered them to score 2 goals in the last extra time to come back strongly and win the game by 2-1. After then it was an easy and comfortable win against RP Leipzig by 3-0 in the Semis. They will take enough confidence from their semis while going to the finals. After the series of failures in the previous UCL knockouts, PSG’s dream of reaching the UCL Finals have finally come true.
PSG seems to be in a good shape with Argentine forward Angel DiMaria returning back from the injury. DiMaria has been a great asset to the team of PSG when it comes to winning crucial games. We also saw the Worldcup winner Benjamin Pavard returning to the training and also coming in the semis as a substitute. Though there are some key players who are likely to miss out. Among them, Marco Verratti going through a calf injury whereas Laywin Kurzawa recovering from Thigh injury are likely to watch PSG’s first final from the bench. Though there has been some positive news about Verratti but let’s see if he’ll be able to show up. Also, we might see the legendary Goalkeeper Keylor Navas, sitting on the bench on the date of finals as he got stuck with a hamstring injury in the semis.
- Bayern Munich’s lineup is surely a powerhouse as by aggregate they have scored 42 goals and 32 assists in the UCL final stages all players combined. PSG Players on the other hand have managed to score 25 goals and 20 assists.
- Average ratings of Bayern Munich players can be rated at 7.5 whereas for PSG players, it is rated as 7.3.
- Average age of the lineups in the Bayern Munich is 28.1 yrs, whereas that of PSG is 27.4 yrs.
- Shots per game for Bayern Munich is at 2 whereas for PSG it is 1.2.
- Aerial Duel Access of Bayern Munich is 58% whereas for PSG it is 59%.
- Dribbles per game for Bayern is at 1 whereas for PSG it is 1.2
- Tackles per game for Bayern is at 1.3 whereas for PSG is 1.4
- Bayern has scored 3 goals on an average in their last 6 UCL games.
- PSG has scored 2.5 goals in the 28 games of their last 33 UCL games.
- Bayern has been in a very good form winning all of their last 10 UCL matches.
- PSG has also been in a decent form winning 8 out of their last 10 UCL matches.
- Bayern has been winning both half time and full time in 5 of their last 6 UCL Games.
- PSG have scored more than 2 goals in 5 of their last 6 games.
Even if Bayern Munich looks strong by its current form, it does not have a good history against PSG. PSG has an excellent record against Bayern, winning 5 of their 8 clashes before. Though the most recent match in December 2017 was won by Bayern. Let’s see How will it shape out this time, adding it is the UCL Finals. Football fans are super excited for this epic clash and are gearing up to see some epic performances from the likes of Neymar, Lewandowski, Mbappe, Gnabry, DiMaria, Davies, and many others.